Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Process 3 Project 1

Here are a couple of simple videos of my figuring out the wave shield and its connections with the MaxBotix rangefinder.










In further reflection of critique I do think that I should have driven the connection between the viewer and the piece more. I do like that I had somewhat accomplished what I had hoped.
I intended to portray a displaced nest. The nest was formed from plastic trash items. Upon viewing nests in the past I have noted that birds adapt to humans. As humans leave waste behind, birds incorporate the waste into the building of their homes within their habitats.

Viewers observed the displaced nest and figured it almost helpless. In the nest, one real egg and two styrofoam eggs are settled. The foam eggs reference how pollution has unfortunately become integrated into the natural habitats of wild life creatures. I wonder how birds might be able to differentiate between items that are safe or unsafe. I considered originally offering directions to viewers, asking them to aid in cleaning the nest. I decided to have the nest speak for itself. This project brought on the discussion on whether trash items are truly a threat to birds or not. This is an area that I would like to research more on in the future.

Issues I had with the project included volume, range of audio files, and  sensitivity of the rangefinder.
As I noted in a previous post, I intend to use amplifiers for the next project in order to make the audio more pronounced so that it can have a stronger impact on the audience.
I did have a list of audio files, of which I have listed in my previous post. Unfortunately all but one of the files were incompatible with the wave shield because they were either too high quality or not in mono format. I hope to mix better sounds for the next project, along with my own voice possibly...
In order to avoid the issues I had with the rangefinder I need to study the varied ranges better and also make sure my files are fully compatible with the wave shield.

I will strive to make a stronger project next time. I will study more on sound as my next project is solely sound based.

Early Notes...






No comments:

Post a Comment