Sunday, November 22, 2009

3 Surplus items I didn't recognize

Transit Theodolite

A theodolite is an instrument for measuring both horizontal and vertical angles, its used a lot in traingulation networks. Apparently its essential for engineering and surveying work. A lot of the equipment in that section of surplus was surveyor's equipment.
"Transit" refers to a specialized type of theodolite that was developed in the early 19th century. It featured a telescope that could "flop over" ("transit the scope") to allow easy back-sighting and doubling of angles for error reduction.
In my mind it was a cryptic navigational device. For sailors.

Balance


This thing seemed a lot more mystifying when I was playing with it at surplus than it did after I looked it up. Its a balance with a 45 gram weight limit. Oddly enough, there is very little information on this thing that I could find after searching its serial number, model number, or name. SEEMS like it should be the simplest. I did find this though, but it hasn't helped much. Completely in Japanese. So this still confuses me a little. But its a balance right? What could be so complex?


DataSim 6000


So this is the information I got off the site:
Davis Calibration provides expert calibration services for MEDICAL DATA ELECTRONICS instruments including, DATASIM 6000– PATIENT SIMULATOR. Select from options for the DATASIM 6000which includes calibration at your location (onsite) or convenient pick-up and delivery from one of our many regional calibration labs, 17025 and NIST traceable certification.
Doesn't help me much, but I can't find more. I actually took this guy home. Its really bizarre. Phone jack and power inpute, a tiny little screen and a lot of inputs I don't recognize.
I'm pretty sure doctors or nurses type in potential data (e.g. heart rate, breathing rate or whatever else this thing will accept) along with whatever they may treat it with, and it simulates responses. I think, the phone jack is to transfer this data.

No comments:

Post a Comment