Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Final Project Change

While I was initially interested in creating a LED display in the DAM room, I soon realized that the time involved in such an endeavor would have severely impaired my chances of getting the project completed. Instead I have chosen to work on a joint project with "Advanced Experiments" in which I will be creating wearable technologies using either an Arduino or a Lilypad (or both).

By changing my project idea so suddenly, I have still yet to figure out exactly what I am going to create, but as this is a joint project, I would like to create two separate garments (a mens piece and a womens piece) that function either similarly, or in tandem with each other.

As of right now, I have been working with different ideas, such as connections, and have created a shirt cuff that lights LEDs when the cuff is buttoned. While it is not a very elaborate experiment, I have been working with conductive thread as well as a metal button to allow me to create a circuit within the fabric.

I plan to continue making more experiments for myself this weekend as a way of brainstorming for the project. I have already purchased all of the supplies and fabric that I need for testing and fortunately, by next week I should be in possession of a sewing machine, which will greatly enhance the speed at which I can test my ideas.

I will be posting soon the schematics for the wearable cuffs as soon as I take a picture of the item and diagram it out. I'm hoping that focusing on one project instead of two will aid me in creating a final project that is conceptually well thought out and cohesive.

No comments:

Post a Comment