Monday, November 9, 2009

Final Project

So I changed my idea for the final project completely since my last post. Since I was sick during the presentation of our ideas, I never got to show my idea/concept. I'm just going to post it on here.

In a way, this project is similar to my midterm group project in the sense that it deals with the way we interact with/create art. I want to create a piece that enables a viewer to sit down at a computer and type in different emotions and as a result, completely seperate from them, they begin to paint an abstract painting. In the past, prior to technology and computers, all art was created in a hands on fashion. Now, with the introduction of computers, many different new mediums that the computer introduces are being questioned as art, or rather the term art itself, because they lack that physical and intimate creation from the artist's hands. I want to create a new kind of experience, where one can physically create a painting in front of them, without even touching a paintbrush or paint, but rather, merely type at a computer. Thus creating this unusual interaction between technology, classic art, and ideas surrounding the two.

The design of the project is going to be a bit harder. I want a large stretched canvas to be displayed up on the wall. As a person types in emotions, I want to have different colors begin to drip down the canvas and begin to mix and interact with eachother. The hardest part of the project will be figuring out a way to open/close the valves that hold the paint. I'm thinking that maybe a servo motor that ever so slightly slides open the valve and lets the paint drip and then closes again after a few seconds would be ideal. I'd have to purchase several motors to be able to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment