Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Final Process

Concept: Still working with ideas of memory, I wanted to create a piece that would be interactive. I was really excited with the possibilities of my last mini project but it wasn't worked out enough for me. I wanted this piece to allow viewers to experience the repetition, disconnect, and confusion caused by damaged memory through abstracted forms. The piece is also exploring family relationships, by each object  representing a person, one is my father's voice, one is my brother's voice, and one mine. They are close but isolated, frozen in a moment in time. They have the appearance of communication but are only repeating the same phrases, never connecting or syncing.

Tech: My first step was converting old home videos of my family to a digital format that I could work with. Then I looked through the videos for clips to use. I converted these clips using audacity to 16 bit wav file and copied them to SD cards. Each SD represents a subject/speaker; myself, my younger brother, and our father. Using 3 wave shields, unos, maxbotix ultrasonic EZ3 range finders, and speakers I have audio memories playing disjointed and random based on a person's interaction/proximity to the objects. It's similar to the pumpkin project.

Objects: I had a hard time with the form. I'm still not sure I've reconciled it. I used this opportunity to experiment with some ideas and forms I had been thinking about. Still trying to figure out where to go with my work in terms of material but also how I can incorporate tech and interactivity into my sculpture/drawing/objects. To make them I created a spherical wire frame and then laid paper over top that had been dipped in polycrylic.



polycryilic drying

figuring out placement

studio testing


beginning dictating the sound clips

Add caption



critique
















No comments:

Post a Comment