Thursday, December 17, 2015

12/17 - Final Progress 3

I decided that in order to create my rotating projector "drawing machine" that I would utilize my access tot he FabLab's laser cutters. Here is a pic I took during one of my late night/early morning laser cutting sessions (crocheting at 3 am is my new hobby)
I had sheets of fluorescent green and translucent grey plexiglass that I thought would be perfect for creating the interface for my piece. I used a website that allowed me to enter in dimensions and export a pdf to use on the laser cutter. Here are the dimensions for one of the three boxes I made. There was this one to hold my perfboard and arduino, a cube for the projection, and a tiny cube to hold the light sensor.

Before I cut anything though, I had to think of what I wanted my piece to project/draw. I was trying to think of what a revolving, lit up box would imply. I like the idea that this revolving box could represent the thoughts running through my head as of late and in turn, could tie in with the rest of the work of I've been making this semester about Islam. I settled on writing the words "I'm not a terrorist" on the sides of the box, a declaration that I have not felt so compelled to make in over a decade. More on this concept to come...

I bought a myriad of other supplies to construct my interface with, didn't take pics unfortunately. But I got some string lights that I thought I could use to illuminate my projection box, epoxy for the plexi, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment