Monday, October 12, 2015

In Class Silent Critique

Fm Gm

Over in the Black Box. Use your intuition to find out how to make sound. Play a song!
Do not push on the "wall" unless you totally want to ruin my day.


George- The project was very cool. You turn the trophy and it makes a beep sound in the headphones. Aesthetically it looked phallic. Its a cause and effect piece.   

Jen- Very intriguing on first sight. It makes the viewer want to explore the possibilities of such an imposing installation. I think it's clear that one should put on the headphones and turn the knob; the resulting sound is surprising and perhaps a little too loud, unless the effect is to startle the viewer. I'm not sure what it's saying, but it works reliably.

Madeline - I think the eclectic, handiwork appearance creates an interesting grunge-DIY aesthetic, though I'm not sure how this ties into the concept (I feel like it's meant to, and maybe it'
s going over my head?) Overall, the piece feels very masculine, with the male figure on the athletic trophy, the almost-phallic appearance George mentioned, and the sort of tool-shed appearance. Also I put the headphones on but apparently you're not supposed to do that?? Either way I had a heart attack almost jesus crust that was loud.

Annie- This project aesthetically looks complete with the rock and trophy detail and even the wood platform. I don't understand the rhythm and or pattern to what exactly triggers the headphones to beep or why, but it looks complete and successful in form so I don't doubt it has some subliminal purpose.

Shimul - I'm really impressed by this piece you've created! I think the objects you chose to compose your piece out of are very interesting; the combination of the trophy, the doorknob, the rock, etc seems to hint at a very specific sort of message, perhaps about competition or control. I would like to know more about what you intended to say with these particular objects. I do feel that because the objects are such distinct, specific things, I am more intrigued by figuring out their meaning than I am by the actual sound that is being produced.

Tatyana- I'm not sure if it's the black box space or the lighting sources or the wooden aesthetic, but there is a very grunge-worthy vibe I get out of your piece. It's appropriated visual also adds this "homey" feel which is ironically comforting to something that I first saw as daunting. With more playing around with the actual knob, we found that perhaps the speed (?) determines the tonal range of the beeping noise, though regardless it was a very interactive piece.

Kelsey- I instantly thought of our affordances lecture with your project. I put the head phones on first because that seemed like an obvious thing to do, but then it took me a few seconds to figure out the rest. I didn't want to twist the door knob at first because it was upside down, but I did anyways because I felt like I was supposed to turn it because that is its purpose.  I also really like that you used an iPad as the power source.

Maria - Your piece is very in your face and workshop feel to it. Don't recommend the headphones because of the loud noise that it produces when you turned the knob. Lower the sound. When I turned the knob the trophy guy made a sound, but when you turn him around really fast he starts making more noise. Definitely interactive.

Dreezy-I generally can't hear that good but the piece was VERY loud. I would recommend turning the sound down. Even if you want it to be loud that's okay but it's almost loud to where I only interacted with your work for a second and didn't even want to explore or figure out the meaning/concept.

I always expect so much out of your work and videos on the blog and this mini project exceeded my expectations. It was so ambitious and seeing you actually being able to actually get it to work is really cool. I kind of wonder if there was a concept behind it. For some strange reason I thought of Icarus but I doubt that has anything to do with your project.

I like the idea of having a large-scale piece that has two sides of interaction and creates its own space and scene; however, I was unsure of how to interact with it -Kayla

ivette- i really like the interactive-ness of the piece. it took me a few tries to understand that you can move different things around to get different noises. I think that's my favorite part, having to mess around with it to see what it does.

 I like your efforts to make a piece.  you wanted to create some complicated and interaction artworks that works with sound  sensor. I just imagine if you just use very simple forms what will be happen? Very good stuff:) think simply too
Setareh

feels like a really complete piece. love your solution to where to put the arduino, something i had a tough time with. works really well, is fun and interesting and i just love the aesthetic of it. the whole mechanism is just perfect. I did see some people confused with the purpose of the headphones --they put them on and then regretted it. however, I liked that you used them as speakers. really nice work! I can't wait to see more. :) Erica

I am super pleased with the done-ness of this sketch. It has a Reuser feel to it. I also like that it is both mechanical and digital and the lo-fi aesthetic that associated with the whole. Also interesting is the notion of a trophy being ridiculed and beat up in a slapstick kind of way. Katerie

No comments:

Post a Comment