Monday, October 12, 2015

Mini Project crit - Erica Fremming

Mine is the tiny cube in the black box, it helps if you turn off the light :)
walk up to it and it should turn on...i hope

Jen - It works well and is aesthetically pleasing! I think it would be more intuitive to trigger if there hadn't been something else in the area to distract from it. So ignoring that, I do think that the placement of the box and sensor in the room works well to make the viewer trigger it.

madeline - the texturing on the cube was really fun and provided an interesting silhouette that was sort of reminiscent of maybe webbing? or woods? Either way, i'm a fan B) I think that the action of walking towards something and having it react/become illuminated creates this sense of importance or something, sort of reminiscent of like....indiana jones walking up to an idol or something.

When you walk up to the piece the block turns blue. Its like an alert that tells you to stay back. Its interesting to see the actually design of the light. It wasn't just a light it seems to have non linear lines that light up.

Maria - The texture inside the cube was a nice surprise, definitely not blinding like I thought it would be. It has a nice hue in the dark. I think you need to figure out how to hide the sensor from view, and think about if noise is provided how people would react to it?

Kelsey- I really liked the texturing inside the cube. It made me want to pic it up and look inside. Which I did and I got a peek of your soldering which then made me realize what I did wrong with my soldering. So that was very helpful. I really like that the light gradually brighten the closer you are to it rather than just turning on and off. Also, what did you use to power the arduino?

Annie- I like your project being shown in the black box because it provides a nice context for the proximity (?) sensor and the pedestal makes your project look especially complete. The cube you used is a nice touch as it diffuses light well. I like that you also chose to specifically mount the sensor so that nothing moved too much between several interactions with it.  It may have been nice to see several different sensors from each side of the pedestal, using the four sides of the pedestal and the four sides of the cube as a motif for a project in which certain perspectives create different results. However, since this is only a mini-project, nice job.


Dreezy- Great job, I enjoyed interacting with you sketch. I do wish I would have more direction as to what to do, I initially didn't know what was happening until someone explained. Once I realized that it was a motion sensor I had more appreciation for the piece. Other than it being visually pleasing I would like to better understand the concept of what is happening or what you want the viewer to experience.

I like the combination of your form that you mad and sensor lighting. the sensor worked very well. and before the  LED was light I didn't realize that the wire is inside the cube and I think the for  was very helpful to your lighting LED. I know that you like working with motors too, I was thinking what if you add motors to cube what will be happens with this lighting.  Setareh

I love the shape you chose for your project and the craft of it. At first I wasn't sure how to get it to work because I was standing on the wrong side of the pedestal. So maybe including more sensors and have the lights change as you go around the pedestal depending on what sensor you're in front of.

I really liked the presentation of it; the cube was well-crafted as well, and the opaque material looked really good. It would have been interesting to have the light trigger when the viewer approaches from the side or back as well -Kayla

Tatyana- Your project was very intriguing. The webbing on the interior was a nice surprise, though I wish the lighting of the actual cube was sharper/ brighter. Though the change in proximity's correlation to the color was obvious, I feel the brightness would definitely make for a more dramatic shift. Why blue? Of course this is a mini project, so this is probably just a sub-part of a grander schematic, but with the simplicity of aesthetic and placement, which were obviously thought out, I couldn't help wondering why the certain color choice, and what that means.

Shimul - I was happy to see that this worked so well! I think it was an interesting way to present the proximity sensor and I really like the scale, actually. I kind of wish the light wasn't quite so diffused though because I feel that the small size is interesting because you have to get right up on it to turn on the light, but would be even more so if it had a really large, striking reaction that sort of contradicts its small size. Otherwise, I think it's successful!

Aaron - Dang that pedestal is perfect. We need one for the Gradhaus. Your cube looks great! The shadows play really well on the surface. I think it would be cool to try out a combination of the LEDs and the motors to move the shadows around. Also that tilt sensor that Kayla used for her glass box was really cool and I could totally see that working for your cube too. Pick it up, hold it like a baby, spin it around, etc. You go, little plexi-box! Go!

I like the idea of light being triggered. I am very pleased by the interface. Are you wanting it to be that subtle or would lack of light make it more of what you were thinking?/ How dark is it supposed to be? Conceptually. are the lines a scribble or language of some sort? Also because the lines are in the box, I also think about the idea of inside versus outside? Also I Am curious about your color choice..  Another thing to consider is also the directionality of the viewer. do you want there to be a reaction from all sides or just one? What potentials are there for that kind of motion/ Katerie

No comments:

Post a Comment